Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Red Velvet Cake Balls

How much do you love red velvet cake? Or red velvet cupcakes? Or basically, red velvet anything? ME? I LOVE IT ALL. If it's red velvet, I'm eating it...there is no doubt about it. I know that cake balls have recently come into the scene quite a bit. The ones I always end up eating that are from different bakeries tend to be too large and too sweet...not my cup of tea. They are good but not as good as I know I could recreate! So, I set out to study a few recipes to figure how to get the best red velvet cake ball...AND, I found it! It was off Bakerella!



Now, I will warn you that while these are easy to make, they are labor intensive! However, once you make them, you yield anywhere from 55-65 depending on how big you make the actual cake balls.  Take that random Sunday afternoon to do it, and you will be glad since you'll have dessert over the next few days!

Ingredients:
1 box red velvet cake mix
1 16oz. can cream cheese frosting
1 package chocolate bark
parchment or wax paper

Directions:


Start with the cake mix. Here is the one I used...excuse my un-manicured hands...


Turn that into the batter...isn't this so pretty?


After you've baked the cake, let it cool completely. Crumble it up and mix in your cream cheese frosting. You want to make sure you mix it thoroughly...I warn you, this will be messy but what's cooking without a little bit of mess right?

You'll take the mix and roll into little balls. I put them on a baking sheet that had parchment paper.


Stick these into the fridge for about 2-3 hours so they hold their shape and form better. You can always speed up the process by putting it in the freezer but I'm not sure how long since I haven't done it before myself! Apparently, I had a lot of time while making these...you know, watching that trash TV while this was hanging out in the fridge..productive aren't I?

After you've chilled these bad boys for a while, take them out so can be ready to be coated in delicious chocolate! I just used plain ol' milk chocolate...feel free to mix it up with white or whatever your lil' heart desires!

I didn't realize I didn't have enough chocolate so some mine turned out a little less chocolatey..but did they taste any different? NO SIREE.  Still just as delicious!


Hope all that work pays off for you! It definitely did for me! I took some to work for the following day and people loved them and were obsessed! A good sign if you ask me...

No comments:

Post a Comment