Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Garlic Aoili

So I've never been a fan of brussel sprouts. And I have no idea why since I have nothing to back them up with since I've never tried them. When I was little, my dad hated them. He would say they tasted like feet. Well, what kid wants to eat a vegetable when the dad says that right? And I've heard so many of my friends growing up not liking them. Well, it turns out, THEY ARE FREAKING DELICIOUS! I went to a restaurant called Eleven Plates here in Austin, and let me tell you that they are life changing! Brussel sprouts officially speak to my soul...and then I had them at another restaurant called The Grove...also delicious!



Well, considering that I had these revelations with this amazing vegetable, I had to figure out how to make them. Did some research and found out, they are so simple to make! The whole dish literally took me a total of 25 minutes to make! And since I had been talking to my husband about them nonstop, he was interested to see how they would turn out. My husband is not a huge fan of veggies..but he ate them like it was candy! You gotta try these and have your world turned upside down! Quit believing all those people out there who say they suck! They could not be more wrong...

Ingredients:
For the sprouts:

15-20 brussel sprouts
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 1/2 tbsp of coarse sea salt
1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp of red chili powder
 2 tsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp of sugar

For the aoili:
5-6 tbsp of mayonnaise
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
Juice of one lemon

Directions:


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Start with your brussel sprouts and give them a good wash!


I cut the sprouts into wedges and got them into a bowl.


I put them in a bowl because it's easier to marinate them and make sure they all get evenly coated. Coat these with the veg oil, sea salt, black pepper, red chili powder, garlic salt & sugar. The sugar helps caramelize these bad boys which makes them unbelievable!!

Get them onto a baking sheet covered with foil and pop them into the oven. You're gonna want to cook these for about 20 minutes, flipping them once in between.


While these are roasting, start on the aoili. I just use this type of mayo...nothing fancy...


Get this into a bowl. Then mince up those cloves of garlic.


Stir these into the mayo. Add in the pepper and the lemon juice and done! Stick it in the fridge until ready to use. 

Once the twenty minutes are up, broil for about 4-5 minutes. You might want to keep a watch on it. You'll end up with this beautiful char...mmmmm. Once they are out of the oven, mix in the aoili and they are ready to eat! Simple right? Yup, my thoughts exactly for something this delicious.



Roasted goodness smothered in a delicious sauce...what more could you ask for? ENJOY! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment